The 25th Convocation of the Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture took place on Saturday, December 8, 2018, at 10:00 am at the IVS Campus located at Street-33 Block 2, Scheme 5, Clifton, Karachi.
The formal function began with a welcome speech by the Executive Director, Samina Raees Khan and State of the Academy report was presented by Prof Dr. Asma Abbas.
The Keynote speaker was Professor Salima Hashmi, Dean at the Beaconhouse National University’s school of visual arts. Prof. Hashmi congratulated the graduating students on their splendid success and lauded Indus Valley School for providing exceptional knowledge and skills to graduates in their respective disciplines which enables them to lead a professionally rewarding life. She specially asked the young women to follow their inner voice which is eroded and ignored and given up easily, in the belief perhaps that it is not theirs to own; said Ms. Hashmi.
Later, Chairman, Board of Governors of IVS, Dr. Ishrat Husain congratulated the 25th batch of students and their parents for their dedicated efforts that culminated in today’s proud achievements. He mentioned efforts of the Indus Valley to become a leading centre of excellence in the field of Art, design and Architecture and encouraged efforts in promoting a culture of excellence in research and innovation, contributing towards a just and tolerant society and enabling students to serve as instruments of positive change.
This year’s graduating class comprised of 109 students, of whom, 25 students from the Department of Architecture, 10 students from the Department of Interior Design, 26 students from the Department of Communication Design, 24 students from the Department of Textile Design and 24 students from the Department of Fine Art.
The Convocation ended with the concluding remarks of the Chairman, Board of Governors, Dr. Ishrat Husain which was followed by visiting of the Thesis Display of the graduating class.
Following awards of distinction were given at the convocation ceremony including:
- Dr. Saleem-Uz-Zaman Siddiqui award in the memory of Dr. Saleem-uz-Zaman Siddiqui for outstanding dissertation went to Mahnoor Raza Abbasi from the Department of Textile Design.
- Taha Iqbal won the Agha Hasan Abedi Award, with a cash prize of Rs.200,000/-, sponsored by the INFAQ Foundation for Excellence in Architecture.
- Ayesha M. Ali won the Zahoor Ul Akhlaq award for best drawing portfolio in the Department of Fine Art
- The Abu Shamim Ariff cash Award of Rs.20,000/- for best research in Fine Art was also won by Ayesha M. Ali.
- Asim Muhammad Ameen from the Department of Fine Art won the Founder’s Award, which is given to a Graduate-Student who most closely reflects the philosophy of the School as envisaged by the Founders
- The IVS Alumni Award to appreciate a thesis design project which is embedded in social awareness and sharing responsibility for a better tomorrow went to Fatima Azeem from the Department of Interior Design and Asim Muhammad Ameen from the Department of Fine Art.
- Aamina Amir won the Thariani Award for Architecture Design Excellence. The award recipient received a certificate carrying a personal message of appreciation by Mr. Saleem Thariani along with a monetary incentive of PKR 50,000.